Tuesday, March 20, 2007

VMWare and High Availability Linux

I've been working with Linux for only about two years now and I still consider myself a newbie in many respects. However, as part of my ongoing self education and my involvement with goitexpert.com, I am constantly on the look out for great new things happening around the open Linux and source community in general.

Last night I stumbled upon the High Availability Linux distro. After reading the front page, it looked to me like it was a great idea and most likely a distribution that will find its niche in the Linux world. However, having no physical environment with which to test this out I was forced to find an out of the box solution to this challenge. After a few searches and a conversation or too with my co-editors I realized that we already have the perfect tool for these type of scenarios. We own a copy of the latest VMware version, which till now was sitting happily in a box on the shelf (next to an old DOS manual), so I decided to try out this distro and see how it works out. While at I will also get other Linux distros installed and maybe setup a test network with Windows and Linux machines. I want to get into VMware a little bit more, get to know it better and most likely write an article or two on this great product.

No comments: